Monday, June 17, 2013

Until next time..


Upon returning to Georgia, I have personally grown in so many ways and gained knowledge of a different culture. Costa Rica is a beautiful country that sits between Nicaragua and Panama. In comparison to Georgia, Costa Rica is full of green vegetation where various fruits are grown. With every meal we have eaten pineapple or papaya as well as gallo pinto, rice and beans. The meals are delicious and all so fresh tasting. All of the meals we ate at our host family's house were homemade and cooked by the woman of the household usually around 6am, 12pm, and 6pm. 

I have learned after visiting Costa Rica for two weeks that the culture here is very Eco-friendly. For some families, conserving energy may be for monetary reasons but for others conservation may be more of something they value. Not only do people try to conserve energy, but also gasoline, food and water. Individuals living in Costa Rica often turn off the power when not using it or simply do not use electricity by using the natural sunlight. Gasoline is preserved by using public transportation such as the auto bus or a taxi. Food and water are rationed and never served in excess. Unlike the USA, Costa Rican restaurants do not serve water unless requested by the customer. 

Family time is highly valued in Costa Rica. My host family was a prime example of the importance family takes in each persons life. My host mom made sure to take care of all housekeeping such as cooking, cleaning and laundry everyday. Her fiancĂ© and son worked long, demanding hours to pay off living expenses. My host mother's two married daughters and grandchildren came to visit multiple times throughout the week. Whenever family was visiting the family would talk and interact with one another rather than just watching tv or using the computer or cell phone like much of the American culture. Every family member was so sweet and respectful and wanted to know about me and Carly's lives. I truly felt loved and cared about by everyone in the house. 

I would like to thank everyone who made this trip possible for me. First and foremost my Heavenly Father for providing financially, physically, emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. Without His love and goodness I would not have had this opportunity to experience the culture of Costa Rica. I also want to thank my family and friends, Dr. Tabi, Ms. Laura, Mr. Fabricio, and my wonderful host family. I could not have asked for a better host family! The whole family was so wonderful and treated me as a member of their family. I believe I grew the most from the love and relationships I shared with my host family. I already miss all of them and hope to see them again someday. 

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment