Friday, June 14, 2013

I hate to say goodbye...

    So I woke up this morning, and really for the first time, I came to the realization that these past couple of weeks have been a dream. To think, a few short days ago, I was swimming in a pool at the base of a waterfall, and before that I was serving the most amazing patients in San Jose! My heart is heavy today with the thought of leaving tomorrow, looming over me as our trip comes to an end. Home sick, tired, and a little sun burned...yet I can't imagine life in the states after living this paradise life for 2 weeks. I have certainly been both humbled and spoiled by the amazing Costa Ricans I have had the extreme pleasure of knowing. I hope everyone gets the same opportunity I have had. I used to be afraid of leaving the states, but now, I don't think I would have been able to grow nor learn how to live if I had not come to this amazing country. Your ability to interact, both as a nurse and a regular civilian, are truly tested when you immerse yourself in a foreign culture. But where you enter a green horn, you emerge a stronger and experienced individual. (Quick shout out to our greenest on the trip: Jimmy D, Taylor Fleming, and Sarah McFall. For what it's worth, I am proud of you all for diving in head first into a nursing geared program and performing with such professionalism, I would have thought you already passed the NCLEX! You three are going to be great nurses one day.)
     I feel it's only right that I not only thank the local Costa Ricans, but also my stellar peers, our wonderful instructor Dr. Tabi, and God bless her, our rock star guide, Laura--without whom, none of this would have been possible. I am so thankful for being blessed with this awesome group of intelligent people. We've made a ton of life long memories here, none of us are soon to forget. We started off the first couple days, shy and timid, but we have learned from each other and grown together as cultured nurses in a foreign world. I wouldn't change a thing.
      Thank you all, again. Dr. Tabi, God bless you for teaching us and facilitating this amazing learning experience. You were absolutely right, it wasn't vacation. It was the most inspirational, beautiful, and most incredible classroom many people don't have the opportunity to experience.
 ¡Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment