Thursday, June 27, 2013

Culture in Costa Rica

           My journey through Costa Rica over the last ten days has showed me the vast difference between American culture and Costa Rican culture. It has made me realize how much I have taken for granted at home and made me more grateful for the things I have. This trip has also made me realize how spoiled we, as Americans, are. There are also things in Costa Rica that we do not have in America that I have had the pleasure of enjoying and getting to experience.
            The first cultural experience that I had while I was in Costa Rica, that I take for granted in the United States, is a communication barrier. I experienced this on the very first day that I was in Costa Rica when I arrived at Katie and I’s host family house. Our host mother and father speak no English which makes communication very difficult. We have to use hand gestures and a small amount of Spanish words to communicate with them. This makes it hard to even have a simple conversation at dinner. I did not realize how important communication and understanding a language is until coming to Costa Rica. It has definitely been a learning experience and gave me the encouragement to begin learning Spanish.
            People in Costa Rica eat very differently than those in America. Before coming to Costa Rica I was expecting the food to resemble Mexican food… chips, salsa, queso, quesadillas. But this is not the case. Instead they eat a lot of rice, beans, chicken, and fruit. Some type of fruit, particularly pineapple, has been served with every meal.  Fresh juice is also served with meals instead of water or tea. I have found that when we ask for water (aqua), we are looked at like we are crazy. One good thing about the way that they eat is that it is very healthy. They eat very little fried foods and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Although the food has been delicious, it has made me long for a slice of pizza or fried chicken from back home.
            There are many other things that I have noticed while in Costa Rica that are different from America. For instance, many people here do use hot water. They are used to taking cold or lukewarm every day, while in America we have hot water available at all times. The first week that we were here Katie and I had the “experience” of taking cold showers, but thankfully we are now provided with hot water. Another cultural difference that stands out to me is the road system and traffic here. The roads are curvy and filled with potholes. The traffic is very heavy and the people all drive very fast with little hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment