Friday, June 14, 2013

Costa Rica 1


     Nursing care in Costa Rica has given me a whole new perspective of being culturally sensitive in the healthcare profession. After working in four different nursing homes in Costa Rica, I have learned many barriers and differences in the Hispanic culture and my own culture. I quickly realized that language variations pose a barrier between the nurse and patient. When communicating with individuals who spoke solely Spanish, I had to adapt my communication skills such as learn Spanish words, point or demonstrate skills, and use nonverbal communication techniques. For example to instruct a patient to step on the scale to determine his or her weight, I said "peso", Spanish for weight, and pointed toward the scale on the ground. For those who didn't understand what I was talking about, I demonstrated how to correctly use the scale.

     As with any culture, diet and exercise routine may depend on the individual and his or her resources. I have noticed a trend in the diet of Costa Rican people which includes rice, beans, fruit, and juice with every meal. Often times they have some kind of meat and some type of bread with the meal. Coffee is also commonly drank throughout the day for a snack or with meals. I haven't noticed many local Costa Ricans drinking water. This sort of diet may have a large impact on the body, especially GI and urinary systems. When caring for patients with Hispanic culture, I will be sure to ask each individual what their regular diet consists of. Changing up diet can greatly affect an individual. 

     Exercise may be limited for some individuals living in Costa Rica, whereas others may engage in daily activity depending on the personal preference and economic status of the individual. A couple of people I have met here in Costa Rica have told me that they work between 60 to 72 hours per week! With a job that demanding, those people may not want to participate in vigorous activities. I have noticed while in this country that many people walk places or use public transportation. The preferred method of communicating may contribute to the individual's daily activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment