Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pura Vida!!!

Being in Costa Rica has been a wonderful experience so far. I absolutely love my host mom. Mama Herminia is a wonderful mother. Meals are always ready, she is super funny, and she makes sure me and Sabrina have everything we need. I couldnt have gotten a better host mom. I will definitely be sad when I have to leave. We have been here for 4 days and I have been faced with many challenges. I have been really sick with a cold, which makes it very difficult for me to sleep at night. Although I have been sick, I have tried not to let it ruin my trip the best I can. I have been really enjoying myself, despite my decline in health. We visited the IrazĂș volcano yesterday, which was AMAZING. It was so beautiful, so I made sure I took tons of pictures. We have also been working at nursing homes performing diabetic foot care for the past 2 days. Experiences like this remind me why I want to become a nurse. I was able to connect with my patients even without being able to speak the same language. Dr. Tabi keeps telling us that love and care is universal, and this experience definitely proved that to be true. By working in these nursing homes, I am able to appreciate all of the resources available to me in America. They really do not have access to much here. One guy told us he had not found a podiatrist since he has been here in Costa Rica and he was so happy to have us students and Dr. Tabi here to help. This is more reassurance that the career I chose is for me. Nothing felt better than seeing a smile on the faces of the many people we gave care to. I look forward to seeing those smiles for the rest of my career.

Tomorrow we go to Ram Luna for dinner. My Costa Rican Mom told me is was "muy Linda", so I am definitely looking forward to this trip. Until next time.... Pura Vida !!

No comments:

Post a Comment