Monday, June 17, 2013

Missing Costa Rica already.

I'm saddened to say that our journey in Costa Rica has come to an end. It is hard to believe that in the short two weeks that I was there, I developed a love for people who were complete strangers. Despite my eagerness for returning to the United States, saying goodbye to my host family was extremely difficult for me.  Even though we are miles apart, I have talked to my host family a few time since I have been home. It makes me miss them even more, but at least I am still able to talk to them!  I am so thankful to have been placed in such a wonderful and caring home and I couldn't have asked for a better host family. 
Studying abroad in Costa Rica was more than just a school trip in my eyes. It was a life lesson to me. By being in a foreign country, I had to learn how to adapt to different situations and overcome the obstacles that were before me. I learned that unlike language and culture, everybody understands a smile. At times it was difficult to communicate, but whenever there was a smile on my face it was evident that others were more understanding of the language barrier. Some of the people would laugh it off and some would attempt to motion and act things out. In the end, there is no doubt that one thing that is universal is a smile. A genuine smile shows that you care. This study abroad experience taught me that when you physically show that you care about someone's well being, they are happier, easier to get along with, and more times than not, they also show that they care about you as well. Thankful doesn't begin to explain how I feel about the experience I was blessed to be a part of. I honestly believe that I will be able to be a better nurse because of the experiences I was a part of while studying abroad in Costa Rica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment